Saving money can be tough. It seems as soon as you get it, bam, it flies right out of your pocket. Bills, entertainment, food… all of these things cost money and there never seems to be enough of it. By going green, however, you can help the environment while also putting a little more green back in your pocket.
Here are 10 quick and easy ways to greenify your life:
1. If you’re not at home, why have the heat on? In the winter months, turn your thermostat down to a reasonable temperature of 68 degrees F when you’re home and 55 degrees F at night and when you’re out. It also might help to upgrade to a programmable thermostat as well.
2. Turn your computer off. When your computer is in sleep mode, it is still using power. Turning your monitor and computer completely off will save power and saving power means you’re saving money.
3. If you can, carpool. Carpooling is one of the best ways to save money on gas and maintenance on your vehicle.
4. Can’t start your day without a cup-o-Joe? Try bringing your own mug to a coffee shop. Some coffee shops will give you a discount for bringing your own cup.
6. Use VOC-free paints when painting the walls in your home. This is not only environmentally friendly, but also fiscally friendly.
7. If you’re getting rid of stuff or need new stuff, join Freecycle to find the things you need or get rid of the things you don’t. One man’s discarded lamp is another man’s treasure!
9. Get regular tune-ups and maintenance on your vehicle. The better your car runs, the longer it will last and the more money it will save you in the future.
10. Use online bill pay options. Paying bills electronically saves a lot of paper and you won’t have to buy stamps as often.
Going green doesn’t have to be a sacrifice, instead, think of it as a way of rewarding the environment for all it does for you and in return, you’ll appreciate all of the money you can save.