Roll out the red carpet for your friends on the most glamorous night of the year: The annual Academy Awards on Sunday, March 2.
Planning a spectacular Oscar viewing party is easy; you just need to dial up the glam with sophisticated appetizers, elegant decorative touches and, to truly get in the spirit, ask your guests to come dressed in their best formal wear.
In addition to creating the perfect ambiance, if you really want to dazzle your guests, try out an Oscar trivia game. Did you know more than 900 films have been shot in Utah dating back to the 1930s? From classic Westerns to sci-fi blockbusters, Utah’s landscape has played a role in some of cinema’s most beloved and influential movies of all time. The Utah Film Commission has a full list of films, as well as the Utah shooting locations.
Armed with this knowledge, and a little help from IMDb, you can create the ultimate Utah film trivia game. One easy way to do it, just break out some jumbo index cards and instruct your guests to try to name Oscar nominated films that feature Utah’s landscape and give a point for each correct answer. You can also give bonus points for knowing the year the movie was released, the stars, or the awards it garnered. If you’re feeling especially crafty you can embellish one side of the cards with fancy, glam-worthy touches.
To get you started, here’s a list of 10 Oscar nominated and awarded films, along with the Utah filming locations:
- Stagecoach (1939): Monument Valley
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968): Monument Valley
- Planet of the Apes (1968): Glen Canyon, Lake Powell
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969): Grafton, Snow Canyon, St. George, Zion National Park
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989): Arches National Park, Moab
- Thelma & Louise (1991): Canyonlands National Park, Cisco, Dead Horse Point State Park, La Sal Mountains, Thompson Springs, Mexican Hat, West Valley City, Moab
- Forrest Gump (1994): Monument Valley, Mexican Hat
- 127 Hours (2010): Moab, Salt Lake City
- The Tree of Life (2011): Salt Flats, Goblin Valley State Park
- Gravity (2013): Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, Lake Powell
Now you’re all set to host the ultimate Utah-themed Oscar bash. Send us pictures of your Awards Party so we know how it goes – or let us in on some of your best party ideas – via our Twitter page – @UtahCB!